Butternut Squash Soup with Astragalus root (Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free)
- 1 3-4 lb butternut squash
- Peeled seeded and chopped into quarter pieces
- 1 medium brown onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 tsp Astragalus Root
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Maple syrup to taste
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg or pumpkin spice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 205 celsius and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cut butternut squash on pan and drizzle lightly with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Roast for 35 min or until tender.
- In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt, and cook for about 6 minutes or until onion starts to caramelize. Transfer onions to a blender. Add broth to the pot and bring to s boil.
- Once the butternut squash is ready, using tongs begin to place pieces in the blender one by one. Add 1/2 a cup of the broth along with the astragalus, and purée until smooth. If your blender is on the smaller side you may need to do this in batches.
- Transfer purée to the soup pot and heat on low. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, salt, and stir until well combined and the flavour is to your liking. I’m a cinnamon nut so I always tend to add a little extra
- Serve warm and enjoy your delicious butternut squash soup with Astragalus root!