Vegan Pozole Rojo (poh-zo-le) with Cordyceps Mushroom
Pozole is a traditional Mexican stew that is hearty and full of rich flavours. For me, this soup goes into my major comfort food category is also a miracle hangover cure. Perfectly layered and full of aromatic spices, topped off with fresh garnish, this vegan Pozole is sure to become one of your new favourites!
- 3 Guajillo Pepper
- 1 ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 white or red onion chopped
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Cordyceps mushroom extract powder
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 medium-sized can Hominy rinsed
- 2 cans Pinto beans rinsed
- 4-6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- Juice of 1 lemon or 2 limes
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of pepper
- Garnish: Thinly sliced green cabbage, chopped cilantro, chopped radish, and fresh jalapeño if you’re looking for an added kick!
- Start by cleaning and drying the peppers. Next, snip off the tops and ends, and discard the seeds. In a medium-size frying pan over medium-high heat toast the chiles on both sides. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil and the onion. Cook until translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Next add the coriander, cumin, oregano and tomato paste and cook for an additional minute.
- Next add the broth chile peppers, Cordyceps, hominy, and beans. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook for an additional 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Disregard the peppers. Stir in the lemon juice and turn off the heat. Add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with cabbage, cilantro, radish and jalapeño if desired.
- Enjoy your delicious Vegan Pozole Rojo with Cordyceps Mushroom!
You may also like these recipes: