Lentil Bolognese with Lion's Mane Mushroom
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large carrot or 2 small grated or finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion grated or finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Lion's Mane Mushroom extract powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- A handful of fresh basil leaves and some for garnish
- Pinch of brown sugar
- 1 cup green lentils (I recommend pre-soaking the lentils for at least an hour)
- 2 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package GF spaghetti or your favourite pasta
- In a dutch oven or medium-sized pot bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Once water is boiling add a pinch of salt and the lentils. Reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered (adding more water if needed) for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender but not mushy. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large pan over medium heat add in the olive oil. Next sauté the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until tender and slightly brown.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, Lion's Mane extract powder, oregano, sugar and fresh basil to the pan. Gently stir sauce together until flavours are well combined. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, follow the directions on your pasta package and cook until al dente.
- Transfer the lentils to the sauce, turn off the heat and stir until well combined.
- Serve warm over pasta and garnish with basil. Enjoy your delicious Lentil Bolognese with Lions Mane Mushroom!