Cinnamon Roll Muffins Recipe with Tremella Mushroom (Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Paleo, Gluten Free)
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups gluten-free All-Purpose Baking Flour mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- Xanthan Gum according to package instructions
- 4 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp Tremella mushroom extract powder
- Pinch of salt
For the cinnamon swirl filling:
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 4 tbsp melted butter (or vegan butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder extract
For the icing:
- 3 oz plant-based cream cheese (I used Kite Hill Almond cream cheese spread)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (I used Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener which is much sweeter than traditional powdered sugar so I suggest using about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- A splash of your favourite plant-based milk (feel free to add more until you reach your desired consistency)
- Preheat your oven to 400 F or 204 C. Lightly spray your muffin tins with oil of choice ( I used coconut) and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl place all ingredients for the cupcakes (except for the milk melted butter and egg) in the bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg melted butter and milk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the large bowl with flour ingredients and mix together well using a spatula until a thick batter has formed.
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and pumpkin spice. Add in the melted butter and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Scoop out 3 tbsp of the brown sugar mixture and lightly swirl it into the batter. Set remaining brown sugar mixture aside.
- Scoop out batter and evenly distribute into the muffin tins (about 3 tbsp each). Spread the remainder of the brown sugar mixture on top of each cupcake.
- Place in oven and bake for 12-13 minutes. I poked the centre with a toothpick at 11 minutes to test for doneness.
- Remove from oven and the baking tins asap and let cool while you make the frosting.
- In a large bowl add in all the frosting ingredients and mix together using an electric hand mixer (otherwise use a whisker) until you’ve reached your desired consistency. You can always add more milk if you prefer a lighter frosting.
- Using a small spoon lightly drizzle frosting over each cupcake.
- Serve immediately or eat them later.
- Enjoy your delicious Gluten-Free Cinnamon Roll Muffins with Tremella Mushroom!